Public opposition to Republican plans to repeal the Affordable Care Act has been overwhelming. Americans have flocked to town halls across the country to speak out against these plans. Poll after poll shows that Americans don't want their health care taken away by Republicans who know that their own legislation is so bad that they are trying to exempt themselves from it. They claim they have a new plan, but the new one is even worse than the old plan.
The latest version of the Republican health care repeal plan will:
- Gut protections for people with pre-existing conditions by eliminating the Affordable Care Act’s guarantee of affordable coverage, allowing insurance companies to charge some people as much as they want.
- Strip health care from about 24 million people and raise premiums for millions by 20%.
- Eliminate the guarantee that insurance companies cover maternity care, cancer treatments and substance abuse care.
- Give away nearly $600 billion in tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans, including nearly $200,000 each in a single year for the wealthiest 0.1% of Americans.
- Increase out-of-pocket premiums for older Americans by as much as $12,900 and allow health insurance companies to charge older Americans five times what they charge younger people—effectively establishing an "age tax."
- Slash Medicaid by $839 billion and end the program as we know it, leading to the rationing of care for children, seniors and people with disabilities.
- End Medicaid expansion, meaning 11 million working families, children, people with disabilities, hardworking families and seniors would have lost their insurance.
- Subsidize tax cuts for the wealthy by maintaining a scheduled 40% tax on the health benefits of millions of working families.
- Eliminate federal funding for Planned Parenthood, putting care for 2.5 million patients nationwide at risk.
- Disproportionately hurt Americans living in rural areas and in some cases it would have caused a consumer’s plan to exceed their annual income.
Call your representative today at 866-829-3298 and tell them to vote NO on this desperate attempt by the GOP to make health care worse for Americans while enriching the few.