This November's elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are taking a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf.
Here are some of the key reasons why Wolf is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- He approved nearly $1 million in new training programs across Pennsylvania to give job-seekers the skills needed for careers in manufacturing.
- Wolf passed a tax credit to spur investment in manufacturing in the commonwealth.
- His programs have helped train more than 120,000 workers.
- Wolf investments in infrastructure repaired or rebuilt 1,300 roads, 600 bridges and more than 6,000 miles of roadway. This $6 billion investment has created jobs across Pennsylvania, and Wolf plans to invest $2 billion more over the next 10 years.
- He created a one-stop shop that has assisted more than 7,000 business owners, helping to spur job growth.
- Wolf created more than 15,000 jobs by investing in the Port of Philadelphia, a steel plant in Johnstown and a new Shell Chemicals cracker plant in western Pennsylvania.
- He restored $1 billion in education funding cut under the previous administration.
- Under his programs, Pennsylvania has risen to third in the nation in STEM education.
- The number of students earning credentials from career and technical education programs has risen 32% under his leadership.
- His efforts have increased high school graduation rates in the commonwealth to 86%, among the best in the country.
- Upon becoming governor, he expanded Medicaid, giving health care to more than 720,000 Pennsylvanians.
- He re-opened a loan program that encourages the use of solar energy in the commonwealth, spurring job creation in the renewable energy sector.
- Wolf expanded protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender expression or identity for state employees.
- He has fought to end mass incarceration in Pennsylvania and banned the box on noncivil service jobs under his jurisdiction.
- Wolf signed comprehensive pension reform for state employees that reduces risk, pays down the debt and cuts Wall Street fees.
- He introduced reforms to expand the right to vote, including same day and automatic voter registration, online registration, modernized absentee voting and campaign finance reform.
To learn more about Wolf, visit his website.