This November's elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are going to take a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Mahlon Mitchell.
Here are some of the key reasons Mitchell is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- When Gov. Scott Walker stripped Wisconsin public employees of their rights, Mitchell led firefighters in a march on the state Capitol, even though they were exempted from the bill that took away the rights of other working people.
- Mitchell wants to restore the prevailing wage for state construction projects so that Wisconsinites have access to jobs that pay a fair wage.
- He wants to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, so that Wisconsin's working people can make ends meet and not have to work two or three jobs to support their family.
- Mitchell wants to invest in Wisconsin's infrastructure. Not only is he going to fix Wisconsin's roads, which are ranked second worst in the nation, he's going to support investment in smart rail.
- As part of his education plan, Mitchell wants to adequately fund public schools and reverse massive cuts to state universities and technical colleges. He wants to reduce class sizes and make sure that teachers have the resources they need.
- He will increase funding for apprenticeship programs so that students can prepare for highly skilled jobs that are in high demand.
- Mitchell has long been a champion of working people. He not only serves as the president of the Professional Fire Fighters of Wisconsin, he is a member of the Wisconsin AFL-CIO Executive Board.
These are just some of the reasons why Mahlon Mitchell is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018. To learn more, visit his website.