This November's elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are going to take a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Michigan congressional candidate Andy Levin.
Here are some of the key reasons why Levin is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- Levin wants to make increasing living standards a part of all trade deals.
- He favors raising the minimum wage.
- Levin said he wants to focus on restoring the freedom of working people to organize and bargain collectively.
- He wants to expand paid family leave.
- Levin will fight for equal pay and benefits for all women, particularly women of color.
- In Michigan, he became the state's first chief workforce officer and created a program, "No Worker Left Behind," which helped more than 162,000 Michiganders get workforce training and another 120,000 get new jobs.
- He will fight Republican attempts to undermine and privatize Social Security.
- Levin advocates for universal public education under local control with well-compensated teachers.
- He wants to create a comprehensive, long-term program to invest in roads, bridges, sewers, mass transit and other infrastructure.
- In Congress, he will stand up for trade policies that protect the rights of working people and raise the standard of living for workers in all countries that are involved.
- He said he wants to change tax policies to stop incentivizing outsourcing.
- Levin will vote to increase investment in job training and apprenticeships.
- He wants Congress to pass legislation barring discrimination against LGBTQ-plus people in employment, housing and other aspects of American life.
- Levin said he wants the United States to move away from the prison industrial complex and favors other criminal justice reforms that diminish the oppression of people of color.
- He wants comprehensive immigration reform with a clear pathway to citizenship and wants to end family separations at the border.
- Levin will work to protect the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau so it can continue to protect families that are treated poorly by banks, payday lenders, check cashing stores and others.
- He wants to ensure access to affordable health care for all Americans by passing Medicare for All and taking on the high cost of prescription drugs.
- Levin wants to embrace postal banking as a way to give Americans easy access to banking services from a trustworthy source.
- He supports a constitutional amendment to reverse Citizens United in order to bring full disclosure of all money donated to influence elections.
Learn more about Levin at his website.