This November's elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are taking a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Ohio gubernatorial candidate Rich Cordray.
Here are some of the key reasons why Cordray is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- He has a record of fighting for working people. When he was attorney general of Ohio, he worked to recover more than $2 billion for teachers and retirees who were victims of fraud.
- Cordray served as the first director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which was created to protect families against corporate and Wall Street abuse. Under his leadership, financial institutions were forced to pay back nearly $12 billion to more than 30 million Americans.
- While attorney general, he launched programs to help working families plan for their retirement goals.
- Cordray is a proponent of Medicaid expansion.
- His "Reduced Costs, Reliable Coverage" plan will increase transparency and accountability in the state's health care system.
- Cordray’s infrastructure plan will repair roads and bridges and invest in public transportation, broadband and clean water projects. These investments also will create jobs.
- His workforce development plan will ensure every Ohioan has the skills they need to support their families by strengthening two- and four-year college degree programs, vocational school, apprenticeships, certifications and other types of skills training.
- To improve the economy for Ohio workers, he is focused on supporting homegrown small businesses as well as attracting out-of-state companies.
- Cordray stands firmly against "right to work" laws.
- As attorney general, he went after bad employers who routinely misclassified their workers.
Learn more about Cordray at his website.