This November's elections are shaping up to be among the most consequential in recent U.S. history. Throughout the summer and fall, we are taking a look at the best candidates for working people. Today, we feature Maine congressional candidate Jared Golden.
Here are some of the key reasons why Golden is one of the best candidates for working people in 2018:
- Golden built a record of success advocating for working people, including fighting for stronger unions, fairer wages and expanded access to health care, achieving a 96% pro-labor voting record in the state legislature.
- Among the legislation he championed included bills to fight wage theft, support veterans and help first responders struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder get access to health care.
- He wants to invest in infrastructure, not only roads and bridges, but things like broadband so more working people can compete in the modern economy.
- Golden wants to invest in traditional jobs, such as agriculture, fishing and forest products, to help these industries adapt to a changing economy.
- He wants to protect programs that lift up working people and retirees like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
- Golden wants to treat health as a public good and a basic right for every American. He supports Medicare expansion and wants to reduce prescription drug costs.
- He has proposed a universal service program where student who commit to two years of service will receive two years of education free of cost.
- Golden wants to give teachers better pay and benefits and cut down the burdens of excessive testing and external factors on how teachers work in the classroom.
- He supports trade deals that focus on expanding economic opportunities for working people, not the world's wealthiest corporations.
- Golden wants Congress to do more to end gender-based wage discrimination.
- He supports mandatory paid family leave, believing that it benefits not only children and families, but the larger economy.
Learn more about Golden at his website.