In the latest episode of "State of the Unions," Julie and Tim talk to the co-chairs of the House Blue Collar Caucus. Reps. Brendan Boyle (Pa.) and Marc Veasey (Texas) both come from union families and formed the caucus in the aftermath of the 2016 election to better connect with blue-collar workers. They say the path to a stronger America runs through the labor movement and any plan to rebuild our economy must include the working people who make it go.
"State of the Unions" is a tool to help us bring you the issues and stories that matter to working people. It captures the stories of workers across the country and is co-hosted by two young and diverse members of the AFL-CIO team: Mobilization Director Julie Greene and Executive Speechwriter Tim Schlittner. A new episode drops every other Wednesday featuring interesting interviews with workers and our allies across the country, as well as compelling insights from the podcast’s hosts.
Listen to our previous episodes:
- A conversation with Kim Kelly, a labor columnist for Teen Vogue.
- A special Black History Month discussion with IUPAT General President Ken Rigmaiden.
- Kooper Caraway, the 28-year old president of the Sioux Falls AFL-CIO, on how the labor movement can reach young people.
- Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy with former Tallahassee, Fla., Mayor Andrew Gillum.
- Special #StopTheShutdown episode with AFGE President J. David Cox.
- A review of 2018, which was a year of collective action on the rise.
- A conversation with UNITE HERE about recent worker victories at Marriott and AFA-CWA International President Sara Nelson talks about aviation's first responders.
- Special Episode: What's Wrong with GM? with longtime UAW member Brad Markell.
- Discussing the midterms and the future of labor with AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka.
- Our midterm recap with Rep. Conor Lamb from Pennsylvania.
- Talking about union members in office with Mayor Dahlia Vertreese of Hillside, New Jersey.
- An interview with Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, the Flint, Michigan, water crisis whistleblower.
- Inaugural episode where you can learn about hosts Julie and Tim.