A historic agreement provides new ways for the 3.2 million members of the National Education Association (NEA) and the 12.5 million members of AFL-CIO unions to work together to strengthen and unify the union movement and meet the needs of working families.
The AFL-CIO/NEA Labor Solidarity Partnership agreement allows local affiliates of the NEA to join the federation at the local and state levels through affiliation with the national AFL-CIO. Directly affiliated NEA locals (DANLs) will have the same rights as any direct affiliate of the AFL-CIO, including jurisdictional protection and representation and voting rights.
As of January 2014, there were 51 Directly Affiliated NEA Locals (DANLs), located in seven states plus the District of Columbia, with a total of 51,767 members. The AFL-CIO has issued certificates of affiliation to DANLs in:
- Hawaii (12 locals, 12,844 members
- California (9 locals, 12,356 members)
- Massachusetts (12 locals, 10,310 members)
- Wisconsin (5 locals, 9,782 members)
- Washington (1 local, 3,773 members)
- Pennsylvania (7 Locals, 1,672 members)
- Rhode Island (4 locals, 1,041 members)
- District of Columbia: (1 Local, 189 members)
- The Hawaii State Teachers Association has affiliated all twelve chapters and is paying the per capita tax for all of its 12,844 members.
- NEA Rhode Island has voted to affiliate all of its locals in the state over a three-year period, which will bring about 10,000 NEA members into the AFL-CIO. The process has begun with four locals now affiliated.
- The Massachusetts Teachers Association has paid all of the per capita tax for the affiliation of eleven locals with 10,010 members
To learn more about the Labor Solidarity Partnership, its benefits, affiliation costs and the application process:
(If you are unable to view the PDF files right-click on the link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" to download the file.)
- Download the application for your local NEA affiliate to participate in the AFL-CIO/NEA Labor Solidarity Partnership Agreement.
- Read the AFL-CIO/NEA Labor Solidarity Partnership agreement.
- Download a brochure about how the AFL-CIO and the NEA can win together by working together.
- Read a one page description of the benefits of AFL-CIO affiliation
- Read about the application process and the formula for determining the cost of affiliation
To connect with the AFL-CIO/NEA Labor Solidarity Partnership program:
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Phone: 1-877-90-UNITY (1-877-908-6489) or 202-639-6425
- Fax: 202-637-5062