Today, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka was named by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy to his state’s Restart and Recovery Commission. The commission will examine the ways to safely restart business and other critical operations throughout the state and develop policies for short-term and long-term economic recovery.
“I am grateful that Gov Murphy is committed to having the voice of working people play a prominent role in his commission,” said AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. “The governor has made strong, fact-based decisions throughout this pandemic, and I look forward to working with him and the other dedicated members of this commission to ensure New Jersey can reopen safely.”
Other members of the commission include:
- Dr. Shirley M. Tilghman (Co-Chair)—Professor of Molecular Biology & Public Affairs and President Emeritus of Princeton University
- Kenneth Frazier (Co-Chair)—Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Merck & Co.
- Dr. Ben Bernanke—Distinguished Fellow in Residence at the Brookings Institution and former Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
- Dr. Richard Besser—President and CEO of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and former Acting Director for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Evelyn McGee-Colbert—Founding Board Member and President of the Board of Montclair Film and Vice President of Spartina Productions
- Tony Coscia—Chairman of the Board of Directors of Amtrak Partner and Executive Committee member of Windels Marx Lane & Mittendorf, LLP law firm and Chairman of Suez North America Inc.
- Jessica Gonzalez—Founder & Chief Executive Officer of InCharged, VendX and Lux-UVC
- Dr. Jonathan Holloway—Incoming President of Rutgers University and former Provost of Northwestern University
- Lisa P. Jackson—Vice President of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives at Apple Inc. & former Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Jeh Johnson—Former U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security and Partner at the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, LLP
- Charles Lowrey—Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Denise Morrison—Founder of Denise Morrison & Associates, LLC and a Senior Advisor for PSP Partners. Former President and Chief Executive Officer of The Campbell Soup Company.
- Dr. William Rodgers—Professor of Public Policy and Chief Economist at the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University. Former Chief Economist at the U.S. Department of Labor
- Neera Tanden—President and CEO of the Center for American Progress and the CEO of the Center for American Progress Action Fund
- Reverend Dr. Regena Thomas - Director of the Human Rights and Community Relations Department of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and former New Jersey Secretary of State
- Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver*—Lt. Governor, State of New Jersey
- George Helmy*—Chief of Staff, Office of Governor Phil Murphy
- Judith Persichilli*—New Jersey Department of Health Commissioner
- Matt Platkin*—Chief Counsel, Office of Governor Phil Murphy
- Kathleen Frangione*—Chief Policy Advisor, Office of Governor Phil Murphy
Contact: Carolyn Bobb (202) 637-5018