The AFL-CIO is leading a Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act Week of Action, part of the labor movement’s national campaign urging senators to pass this transformative bipartisan legislation. This week of action includes at least one event near every U.S. senator’s office.
“This PRO Act Week of Action is another full-court press. America’s labor movement is showing up in every corner of our country to demand a fix to our outdated labor laws that are nearly 100 years old,” said AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. “Our members and all working people are committed to making the PRO Act the law of the land this year.”
Events range from a rally in Fairbanks, Alaska, at Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s office to a canvass in the Phoenix area, where members will have in-depth conversations about the PRO Act and the importance of Sens. Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly supporting this historic piece of labor legislation. The Virginia AFL-CIO and its affiliated central labor councils are continuing their Wednesdays with Sen. Mark Warner, with rallies planned at the senator’s home-state offices urging Warner to cosponsor the PRO Act.
Events also have already begun across the country, including in New York, where Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand joined the New York State AFL-CIO at a press conference calling for the passage of the PRO Act.
Other regional highlights include:
- PRO Act rally with Sens. Gary Peters and Debbie Stabenow in Lansing, Michigan
- PRO Act roadshow in Linwood, Pennsylvania
- PRO Act rally at Sen. Ron Johnson’s office in Madison, Wisconsin
- PRO Act press conference at Sen. Marco Rubio’s office in Orlando, Florida
- PRO Act postcard distribution in Savannah, Georgia
- PRO Act rally at Sen. Richard Burr’s office in Asheville, North Carolina
- PRO Act teach-in in San Diego
- COVID-19 vaccine drive and PRO Act education event in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- PRO Act petition delivery at Sen. Ted Cruz’s office in Dallas
The AFL-CIO also launched a PRO Act website that clearly lays out the need for the landmark worker empowerment, civil rights and economic stimulus legislation and offers ways to get involved.
This past week highlighted the importance of the PRO Act to combating inequality and advancing civil rights, with Wednesday’s release of the AFL-CIO’s Executive Paywatch report and Thursday’s Democracy for All event.
Contact: Carolyn Bobb (202) 637-5018