Working people in America will no longer accept economic rules written of, by and for the wealthiest few. We refuse to accept the reality of struggling to make ends meet in the richest country in the world at its richest point in history. We can do better. We must do better. And so we demand rights that ensure we are able, through our work, to lead better lives.
Working people demand the right to come home safely at the end of the day. We demand the right to be paid enough to support ourselves and our families. We demand the right to quality health care, paid time off to spend with family, a schedule that is flexible and fair, and protection from discrimination. Finally, after decades of hard work, we demand the right to retire with dignity and security.
We demand a comprehensive Workers’ Bill of Rights. Standing together in unions and working with all who share our values, we will make this bill of rights a reality for all working people.
All working people have the right to:
- A Good Job with Fair Wages: Everyone who wants to work has the right to a good job where we earn a fair return on our work and receive a wage that allows us to support ourselves and our families.
- Quality Health Care: Regardless of income, job or a pre-existing condition.
- A Safe Job: Free from harassment and violence.
- Paid Time Off and Flexible, Predictable Scheduling: To spend time with family or care for ourselves or a loved one.
- Freedom from Discrimination: In hiring, firing and promotions.
- Retire with Dignity: And financial security.
- Education: Public K-12, higher education and career training that advances our knowledge and skills without leaving us in debt.
- Freedom to Join Together: With our co-workers for better wages and working conditions, whether we are in a union or not.
- A Voice in Democracy: To freely exercise our democratic voice through voting and civic participation so that we can make sure our government stands up for this Workers’ Bill of Rights.